Skip to main content

HOW TO GET A TV PRODUCTION JOB

You may notice in this blog that I am always talking about unemployment. Well, that is because in the media, work is normally freelance and when you do get a job it may only be for a couple of months at a time so that is something you should be mentally prepared for if you want to get into this industry. 
TIPS ON GETTING A TV JOB
- Sending emails is easy. Calling someone is harder but can you guess which one works better? 
- Review what shows are in pre-production mode and call them and see if they need a hand. 
- Always be polite even if they don't have work as you may meet them again 
- Try sorting out an online portfolio page with some pictures, writings or videos. About.me is one, it is simple and easy to use.    
- Be prepared for a lot of people who are rude, condescending and fake. Learn how to suck it up quickly as it will never go away.
- If a job is advertised, call in personally with your CV. 

My Story

After a few weeks applying for jobs anywhere and everywhere, I get nothing but rejection letters. The entire bedroom wall could be plastered in negative response letters like a soul gutting art project.

One day in late September, I set out on a mission. Only a mile or so from where I live, there is a TV production company that makes factual and entertainment programmes. Perhaps, if I personally call into them there might be a better chance of obtaining work. 

It takes a half an hour of sitting outside nervously in my car before getting the balls to go in and ask.

Approaching the main door, a woman suddenly leaves the building. Looking at me suspiciously, she asks ‘who I am looking for’.

On hearing my story, there is an impression that this lady, who just so happens to be the boss, feels sympathetic towards my predicament and offers me an internship. Yes another unpaid internship. I swore I would never do it again and yet here I am.

Two weeks of follow up calls finally lands me a start date. However, on my first week, there is little for me to do in their small offices. Eventually though, I discreetly push towards working on a series programme that is in production.

TV work sounds very glamorous but really it’s not. It’s hard work with long hours of admin and with small budgets nothing is Spielberg. Also, as an intern or a runner, your main job is to take food orders and run errands.

However, after a couple of weeks slaving away, a paid job is offered to me by the company as an archive researcher for a news review show. The contract is only eight weeks but the money is great and I am only too delighted to accept. Finally something pays off.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNEMPLOYED, BORED AND FEELING DEPRESSED

A couple of months ago, I googled  ‘unemployed and bored’ because my head was about to melt off from doing absolutely nothing at home.  Subsequently, I found a couple of blogs so I thought I would do something similar. I was so depressed about being unemployed and was ashamed of my circumstances even though I knew it was not my fault. Being out of work is something that everyone will have to face at some point during their life and there are ways to get through it. Believe me I have been there. After graduating, about a third of my class emigrated overseas to look for work.  This was not for me so I went back to college to study for a Masters.  After I graduated again, I was in and out of work like a yo-yo doing different internships and so on trying to gain experience. I suffered a lot in the process but I learned a lot about myself during that time.   So, from my experiences, I thought I would share some of my tips for being unemployed that may be helpful

WHAT DO I REALLY WANT

What do I want in life?  Click the picture below to watch the must see video for all teachers and students... CLICK HERE

THINGS THAT WILL MAKE YOU SMILE

When we are feeling down there are a few little tricks to help you smile again.  Below are my top tips for for giving yourself some instant highs and r emember laughing is contagious.  1. Youtube have the best round-ups of TV news bloopers and funny animal videos that are always a guaranteed laugh. 2. Baking cakes is said to be a great way to beat the blues. Just ask writer Marian Keyes. She said it was the best way for her to beat depression... 3. Lets pump it, one two three four and lift... Exercise!! Yes for some people the thoughts of exercise makes them squirm but you feel great afterwards. I think the sweat in your body is just dying to escape so let it free. 3. Renting a comedy, going to a gig or heading to the cinema can be uplifting, why well because as I said... "Laughter is a powerful antidote to stress, pain, and conflict. Nothing works faster or more dependably to bring your mind and body back into balance